How to Change Parenting Paradigms with an 11 Year Old?
Hey friends. We’re back with another Q&A show. This time we’re tackling the specifics about changing paradigms with a pre-teen—making dramatic changes after your children have experienced years of your old parenting style.
Some specific topics we cover:
- Should I just make the changes or should we have a discussion about it?
- How can we transition away from praise and rewards without him thinking we don’t “approve” of him?
- How to set limits on bed time, screen time, dinner time, school time etc. because he struggles with self-regulation issues?
- He won’t clean his room if we leave it up to him. How can we make sure his room is clean and there aren’t health concerns?
- How do you feel about paying a child an allowance? (with a short rant on economics and unschooling).
Have a Question You Want Answered on the Show?
Kevin would love to answer your questions on the show. You can call in to (678) 804-8036 and leave your question on our voicemail. Include your name and city before asking your question.
Support the Show
The Powerful Parenting Podcast is a crowd-funded show. That means it is driven by listener contributions. If you find value in this show and have the means to contribute financially, we ask that you pledge a small per-episode contribution. These contributions pay for hosting, equipment, software, editing, and production time. You can pledge as little as $1 per episode—every contribution helps.